The life & times of Caroline Tru & Ava Claire Wilcox as observed and enjoyed by their mother, Angela.

Began on June 1, 2009 at age three to chronicle for them - and for those who love them - all of their everyday (and not-so-everyday) activities, milestones and life experiences.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

On the Wagon

Ok, I think it's safe to say we are officially bottle free! I am a bit nostalgic as I write this because it reminds me of what a rocky and long road it started out to be with my little ladybugs. I know most moms and most of you reading this would (and secretly do) chastise me for letting my girls use bottles this long. But before you do, I urge you to walk a mile in my shoes. It hasn't been strictly for convenience sake, or because I'm lazy...actually far from it. Bottles have been a lot of work around here! I am happy with my methods and I think the girls have benefitted from them. They've only had bottles at bedtimes and in the morning (3 times a day) for the past couple years and never anytime or anywhere else. And I've had a hard time giving up the automatic 24 ounces of milk a day that provides them with important calcium, nutrients and calories.

Since day one...actually even before that because while in my tummy the constant worry was that Ava (Baby A) wasn't growing....the issue most important and paramount to their survival has been getting enough food, i.e. calories, i.e. MILK (Mama's or otherwise)! When you begin your motherhood experience spending every waking moment worrying about how much milk your little ones can get to grow bigger, stronger and to get out of the hospital, it's tough kicking the habit.

The only concern and the biggest job I had as a new mom was to teach my babies how to suckle and to take milk through their mouths. It wasn't easy. Through necrotizing enterocolitis, blood infections, heart murmurs and other reasons that prevented them from getting food to their tummies, let alone through their mouths...because these problems mandated the girls take fluids through IV's rather than milk through their nasal feeding tubes...the first several weeks were tough. The mission stuck with me, and to this day I overfeed and fret constantly about their daily intake of calories, especially Ava's. I remember at one point celebrating when the girls were allowed to take 2 milliliters (that's less than a small spoonful) of breast milk through a feeding tube.

That was then...










Anyway, I went cold turkey last Wednesday night and have stuck to my guns since. Caroline had a harder time with it than Ava. Ava hasn't really wanted one at bedtime for some time...she mostly prefers her morning bottle "on the couch." Much like Mom with her cup of coffee :)

Caroline had a few crying bouts and tried a few times to cajole, "last more bottle, Mommy!!!" from me. But she's content now that she is giving them to baby Elise on our trip to Chicago next week. The last few bedtimes I haven't even heard mention of it. I've packed them up and I now have one more drawer in the kitchen to use. I will also not miss the dramatic and elaborate ritual of Caroline wanting the bottle placed precariously at the edge of the bedside table so SHE can grab it HERSELF...but not before she licked her finger and ran it in a circular motion around the nipple and down her wrist. (Again, more on that in a later post)

I love you my ladybugs! I'm happy you're healthy and growing up and older, but can't help but miss my babies.

Cheers!

This is now...

2 comments:

Chelsea Covington said...

I love how they are really using chopsticks at the age of 3! I still have to force myself not to request a fork when I eat Chinese.

Alpine Medical said...

Once again I want to express what a great mom I know you are. With Oliver leaving in yet a few short months, I reminisce on his life and passages. I too miss my baby,it is bitter sweet. I look forward to the future and hope I will be able to make it through the send off.